For Adult Bible Study members, Sacred Heart has compiled a list of resources, websites, and articles that provide content to further deepen your understanding of Sacred Scripture as a means to enhance your faith related to Jesus Christ, the Catholic Church, and a personal growth in holiness.
The goal is to offer you assistance as you continue to study God’s Holy Word, and while by no means exhaustive, we hope you find these links helpful and fruitful in your journey of faith.
Catholic Bible Websites
Other Online Bible Websites
- Bible Gateway
- Catholic Canon – Revised Standard Version
- Catholic Canon – New Revised Standard Version
- New Testament Greek Language Online Bible
- Interlinear Bible Study Tool
Resources for Bible Study
A full-length book written by Fr. Michael Giesler, “Learning God’s Word” explains Catholic teaching on such issues as the divine inspiration of Scripture, its historical truth, and how it is to be read and interpreted. It includes capsule summaries of each biblical book as well as discussions of the Church’s major teaching documents on Scripture, especially the constitution of the Second Vatican Council, Dei Verbum.
One-Volume Commentaries on Scripture
All of these are available through online booksellers:
- Collegeville Bible Commentary – This is a comprehensive yet concise Bible commentary, which continues to be a popular resource for all non-specialist Bible students who are looking for help in understanding and appreciating the Good News.
- International Bible Commentary – The IBC brings together in one volume many voices speaking from different cultural perspectives to interpret God’s Word for modern man. This commentary offers a guide to each book of the Bible as well as insights into contemporary concerns from diverse cultural perspectives.
- New Jerome Biblical Commentary – The NJBC represents the efforts of some of the finest of Catholic scholars; however, the work is quite technical and not recommended for beginners.
Documents of the Catholic Church on Scripture
Dei Verbum: The Dogmatic Constitution on Divine Revelation – November 18, 1965
Catechism of the Catholic Church on Sacred Scripture
- Article 1 (par. 51-73): The Revelation of God
- Article 2 (par. 74-100): The Transmission of Divine Revelation
- Article 3 (par. 101-141): Sacred Scripture
Documents of the Pontifical Biblical Commission